Monday 7 April 2014

IN WHAT WAYS DOES YOU MEDIA PRODUCT USE, DEVELOP OR CHALLENGE FORMS AND CONVENTIONS OF REAL MEDIA PRODUCTS?

Main text
Via Youtube, i looked at many music videos from the pop-rock genre. The web 2.0 streaming website allowed me to access a wide range of different music videos from a wide range of bands. I looked at these videos to look for common conventions and genre specific conventions. From these videos, I created a Prezi of these different conventions which I would consider to use.
I also compared these conventions to conventions of both rap and metal videos showing that conventions are important to define a genre.

In terms of theory, Tessa Perkins says that there is sterotype attached to anything and it's there for a reason. The history of the rock genre and risse of pop music may have created the stereotype of that the narrative may be depressing. Although the theme of the song is about isolation, when the equilibrium is restored, there is a happy ending; showing we are breaking the old fashioned convention of rock videos.

Ancillary 
When looking at the conventions of digipacks, I used the digipacks I actually owned. I did this because not only do I know them very well, but I can analyse in front of my eyes rather than over a screen. I discovered features such as the main image, barcode, text, spine and UPC code. I used powerpoint to analyse some of my favourite front covers.

As I did not have access to many magazines, I used web 2.0 in terms of Google images to find some magazine adverts. Using powerpoint again I analysed a few:
 

 

These allowed me to discover conventions and allowed me to create a template which I could recreate on Photoshop. The template allowed me to involve all conventions found which allowed me to use them effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment